Persol Roadster GT
April 11th, 2011
New Persol Roadster Sunglasses Echo McQueen Cool
The luxury eyewear company Persol has a racing pedigree. A pair of Persols were often seen worn by Steve McQueen, what could be a better endorsement of cool than that! So now they have come out with a new edition called the Persol Roadster, and we absolutely love it!
Ok, so the company is marketing them to men—shame on you—even referring to “gentleman drivers” on their website, but we think they’re great for women too. Persol writes in its press release: “It is a tribute to the earliest drivers, to real gentlemen and epic races that in the early 1900s kept the eyes of the world glued to difficult and impervious racetracks where the finish line was often a mirage.” Nicely written, too bad they haven’t taken a look at our historical profiles and noticed that “real women” were also driving and racing at that time.
The limited edition comes in two models the TF (Targa Florio) and the GT (Gran Turismo). We’re particularly fond of the black GT—what works for cars apparently also works for eyewear. You can find the sunglasses at Ilori in the US and at our favorite French store of all things fabulous and fashion-forward Colette.
March 17th, 2011
Watch Keira Knightley’s New Chanel Ad With A Ducati
We had told you about Keira Knightley posing with a Ducati for a new Chanel ad, well, here’s the video. Her co-model for the Coco Mademoiselle perfume ad is a Ducati 750 Super Sport from 1974, a beauty. We love her Karl Lagerfeld designed beige catsuit! What we don’t love is that there’s too much posing and too little riding.
Lauren's Ryland jacket
January 03rd, 2011
Ralph Lauren Goes to the Races
We all know about Ralph Lauren’s extraordinary car collection. His collection boasts about 60 of the rarest cars available including a 1930 Mercedes-Benz SSK “Count Trossi” roadster (only 1 was made) and a personal favorite of ours a Mclaren F1LM (only 5 were made).
So, RL has finally brought his love of cars to his love of fashion. As part of his black label he created a racing-inspired line called Black Racer. Only Ralph Lauren could produce a line that evokes Moto meets Palm Beach!
We picked out our 5 favorite looks just for you!
1.Ryland Leather Jacket: We particularly love the Ryland Jacket (pictured here). $2498.
2. Petra Leather Moto Dress: A classically tailored leather dress is on trend this winter and this one has the perfect fit. $2198.
3. Knit Silk Motorcycle Jacket: It has all the right moto details but producing it in a knit is a genius move and brings a whole different feel to it. $1398.
4. 400 Leather Cropped Jean: Cropped pants are the new length trend which makes these leather pants fresh and a great addition to your wardrobe. $1898.
5. Gabi Printed Jersey Top: We love this long-sleeved black t-shirt with a speedometer printed on the front. (Click below to see a photo) $789.
December 22nd, 2010
Here it is: Lagerfeld’s VW Golf Ad!
A shot from the 2010 calendar
November 23rd, 2010
Pirelli Calendar-Lagerfeld Edition: Spy Shots
We cannot wait to see the new 2011 Pirelli Calendar shot by Karl Lagerfeld this year! We were pretty disappointed by Terry Richardson’s Pirelli
porn shots last year.
But this year it’s as if Mr. Chanel has read our mind…the calendar is not just for men anymore. Yup, that’s right it’s a co-ed affair this year!
Reportedly, the calendar will be a Roman and Greek god theme. This photo entitled “Bacchus with Two Bacchantes” with models Isabeli Fontana, Garrett Neff and Bianca Balti is from the 2011 shoot.
It’s a bacchanalia that only Lagerfeld could create!
Harveys Madison Large Carry-All, $248
June 22nd, 2010
Fashion Your Seatbelts
Meet the Harveys, Dana and Melanie, who make handbags out of recycled seatbelts. In 1997, they were installing seatbelts in their 1950 Buick and they decided to make a matching handbag for Melanie. They received so many compliments that they decided to turn it into a business. They created Harveys and all of their bags are made from seatbelts.
We love their laptop bag which retails for $208. We know that Drive Like A Women ladies tend to like big bags as we need to carry both our heels and driving shoes every where we go so we also think the Madison Large Carry-All, which retails for $248, is a great every day bag.
Rihanna looking fantastic in her Vintage1 moto jeans.
March 16th, 2010
Drive Like A Woman 5 Favorites: Moto Pants
Every woman needs the perfect motocross pant as a key Drive Like A Woman wardrobe essential. Balmain championed the look, taking elements of the functional motorcycle pant and reworking them into a more fashion forward, day to day wearable style. Detailing around the knee and other areas provide added panache.
Our 5 moto favorites update the standard wardrobe staple (jeans/leather pants/legging) making them anything but boring—and we know our Drive Like a Woman woman is never boring! We love the subtle details that not only give trousers that added edge, but also create a more flattering finish to the overall silhouette. They elongate the leg and draw attention away from hips and thighs, bringing focus to the knees - on trend and yet still comfortable and practical.
The key to this look is to not play pick and mix with trends. Let the trousers do the talking, and team with simple separates such as a white tee, or vest and blazer. Unless you’re Rihanna in which case throw on a fur vest and work it!
Here are our 5 favorite moto pant looks:
1. The Real Deal: The original Balmain motocross pants straight from the catwalk. For the ultimate in leather luxe, dress up with killer heels and in keeping with the Balmain theme, work with a sharp shouldered upper body silhouette. $5,330.
2. The Stand-out: These leather Preen pants will add instant attitude to any ensemble - so authentic they actually look like they were made for the motorbike. Be prepared to get noticed. $810.
3. The Star Jean: Rihanna looked fantastic in these denim moto pants by Vintage1. For an alternative look that is equally eye catching, try this denim finish for a completely different spin on the trend. Other celebs such as Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson and Kim Kardashian have been seen sporting these jeans. $198.
4: The Dressed Down Legging: James Jeans offers the option for those who want a subtler injection of biker chic. This cotton legging version is simple enough to work into any outfit, with just enough detail to subtly amp up your look. $185.
5. The Bargain: To play with this trend without breaking the bank, we love Topshop’s skinny biker trousers. These pants offer the biker finishing touches without the hefty price tag! $58.
Emma is the Associate Fashion Editor at Drivelikeawoman. She is a fashion writer and stylist based in London where she also runs her fashion blog: www.kiyomistyle.blogspot.com.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Sign up with Drive Like a Woman and get our newsletter, plus special promos and event info.